What the Heck is PANDAS?
I just explained it to you! Here is what P.A.N.D.A.S. stands for:
PANDAS can be caused from strep or other infections. Many people with PANDAS improve when they get on antibiotics. Some people need to go for treatments such as IVIG and/or plasmapheresis. IVIG works better than plasmapheresis.
A huge part of PANDAS syndrome can be Obsessive Compulsive Dis
People don't realize the different forms PANDAS can take, such as:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Tourettes (Tics, etc.)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Sensory Issues (sensitivity to light, sound, touch, or taste)
- Mood Swings
- Seperation Anxiety
Many people don't realize these symptoms could be connected with strep or other infections. It is important for people who have these symptoms to try to find out if they have P.A.N.D.A.S. so they can get the right kind of medical treatment.
What is O.C.D. and What Does it Have to Do with P.A.N.D.A.S.?
Most of the information about OCD on this website is on the OCD page, although here is a good explanation of it that I would like to infuse into your head. First of all, O.C.D. is an anxiety disorder. It stands for:
An obsession is something that you can't stop thinking about no matter where you are and when you're thinking about it. A compulsion is an irresistible urge to act on something, such as an obsession. With OCD, each time you give into a compulsion for something, the OCD gets worse; the obsession goes away, but later it will come back and bother you even more. For instance, if you have the urge to wash your hands and can't stop thinking about it, that is probably OCD. The obsession is the thought of washing your hands and the compulsion is the urge to wash them. Washing your hands would be giving into the OCD, because next time the urge to wash them would be even stronger. Although, resisting the compulsion would cause the obsession to eventually go away. So, if you have OCD and resist washing your hands, the urge to wash them would go away after a while and the next time the urge came back to bother you, it would be less powerful. That is how you defeat your OCD.
OCD is a very common symptom of PANDAS syndrome. You may think you know what it is already, but there's much more you still don't know. OCD takes many forms beyond just hand-washing. If you want to find out more information, please go to the OCD page.
What is PITAND?
P.I.T.A.N.D. is like PANDAS only caused from different things from strep. It stands for:
PITAND can be caused by Lyme disease and many other infections. It is like PANDAS only when something else is attacking that wrong part of the brain.
How can You spread the word about P.A.N.D.A.S.?
- You can make a website like mine.
- You can tell your friends and family about this website.
- You can do a project about PANDAS for school.
- You can go to www.pandasresourcenetwork.org or pandasnetwork.org to find out more about PANDAS.
- You can tell your friends and family about PANDAS.
- You can put the link to this website on your facebook page.
- You can talk about PANDAS on ACN forums (part of www.lattitudes.org), which includes a forum for PANDAS and one for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Why Should You Come Back to This Website After You Finish Reading the Other Pages?
- There is more than one page to this website.
- There is a members page on this website where you can have your own member profile.
- There are discussion forums on this website where kids can feel free to talk about their PANDAS and OCD.
- This is probably the only PANDAS website that can be for kids that you'll be able to find.
- I am still update this website and make new changes to it.
- You might think you have already seen this website, but you probably haven't seen it all.
- You may have PANDAS without even realizing it. You never know...